Two Year Bachelor of Education (B.Ed.)
About the course
B.Ed. course enhances the qualities of upcoming mentors of Society in two years. B.Ed. programme is a professional course which prepares student teachers at secondary and Higher secondary level. B.Ed. course is a combination of content knowledge, human development and pedagogical knowledge with communication skill in upcoming student teachers.
The Bachelor of Education(B.Ed.) Programme is a professional course that prepare teachers for upper primary or middle level (Classes VI-VIII), secondary level (classes IX-X) and Higher secondary level (classes XI-XII).
Eligibility for Admission
(a) A candidate should have passed the Bachelor’s Degree/Master Degree in Sciences, Social Sciences/Humanities/Commerce of Savitribai Phule Pune University or of any other recognized university with at least 50 % marks. Or Bachelor in Engineering / Technology with specialization in Science and Mathematics of any recognized university with at least 55 % marks.
S/he should have offered at least one school subject at the first and/or second degree level as a principal or subsidiary or allied or optional subject. (School subject means the subject included in the syllabus of Secondary/Higher secondary level of State/ Central Education Board in India)
For Foreign students the Maharashtra State Government rules will be applicable.
(b)The reservation and relaxation of 5 % marks will be given to the candidates belonging to S.C./ S.T./ V.J.N.T./ O.B.C./P.W.D. and other notified categories as per the Maharashtra State Government Rules.
Admission to the eligible candidates shall be made on merit on the basis of marks obtained in the qualifying examination and/or in the entrance examination or as per the selection procedure laid down by the State Government of Maharashtra and Pravesh Niyantran Samiti, Mumbai from time to time.
Eligibility Norms for appearing B.Ed. examination
Student teacher should have kept two terms with at least 80 % attendance in the sessions (for both the years) conducted in the college in which s/he has taken admission. S/He should have completed all the practical and other work expected in the syllabus to the satisfaction of the Principal. S/he should have obtained such a certificate for both the years from the Principal of the College. Unless and until s/he obtains such a certificate, s/he will not be allowed to appear for University examination.
Medium of Instruction
Medium of Instruction at the B.Ed. course will be English or Marathi.
Medium of Answer
The candidate appearing for the B. Ed. examination will have an option of answering all papers either in English or Marathi. This option can be exercised course wise and not section wise or question wise.
The medium of answering the paper for course in Understanding disciplines and school subjects and Pedagogy of school subjects (language course) will be in the concerned language only.
General objectives of the B.Ed. Programme:
To enable the student teacher:
- To integrate the study of subject knowledge, human development, pedagogical knowledge and communication skill in student teachers.
- To promote capabilities for inculcating national values and goals as mentioned in the Constitution of India
- To act as agents of modernization and social change.
- To promote social cohesion, international understanding and protection of human rights and rights of the child.
- To become competent and committed professionals willing to perform the identified tasks.
- To use competencies and skills needed for becoming an effective teacher in a normal setup and in an inclusive setup.
- To understand, develop and apply various evaluation procedures in education.
- To be a sensitive student teacher regarding the emerging issues such as environment, population, gender equality, legal literacy, critical understanding of ICT, yoga education, etc.
- To inculcate rational thinking and scientific temper among the students.
- To develop critical awareness about the social realities among the students.
- To use managerial and organizational skills.
- To enrich himself/herself by actual engagement in the field.
- To enable him/her to become aware about the day to day problems in the field and develop the capacity to solve them through research.
- To develop an understanding of the interdisciplinary perspectives in education
- To develop the habit of reflective teaching among the student teachers.
- To enhance professional capacities like reading and reflecting on texts, understanding of self, understanding the use of drama and art in education, etc.
Curricular Areas of the Teacher Training Programme
The programme structure offers a comprehensive coverage of themes and rigorous field engagement with the child, school and community. It comprises of three broad inter related curricular areas:
- Perspectives in education
- Curriculum and Pedagogic studies
- Engagement with the field.
All the curricular areas include theoretical inputs along with the practical work from an interdisciplinary perspective.